Click here to earn ASHA CEUs for this episode. (Use the code SLPNOW to save $10 off your yearly subscription!)
In this episode, I got to sit down with the incredibly knowledgable Dr. Anna Vagin, an SLP with a private practice in California. She provides individual sessions and social learning groups to children, young adults, and their families, and is the author of Movie Time Social Learning (2012) and YouCue Feelings: Using Online Videos for Social Learning (2015).
We’ve gotten so many questions about social language groups, so I was super excited when Anna agreed to this interview. I know she’ll be the perfect person to break this all down for us.
Anna’s expertise is working with students who have diagnoses ranging from ASD, ADHD, NVLD, anxiety disorder, language disorders, and social communication disorders.
She has a wealth of experience to draw from, and I learned so much about getting the most out of working with these students in mixed groups. I hope you learn a ton too!! 🤓
So grab your beverage of choice (I’ll have a green tea!), get cozy, and listen in.
– What led Anna to specialize in social language
– How to group students effectively, making sure all group members are able to “give” and “get”
– Creating groups when students display challenging behavior
– Effectively using visuals in your groups
– Behavior expectations
– Feeling trackers and fixers
– Favorite games for social language groups
– Setting up groups for behavioral management success
– Incorporating explicit teaching of social concepts
– Our favorite activities for mixed groups
– Tips + strategies for monitoring progress in social groups
Links Mentioned in the Podcast
– Movie Time Social Learning
– YouCue Feelings: Using Online Videos for Social Learning
– Sarah Ward: The queen of executive function
– Mole Rats in Space
– Ice Cool
– Sushi Go
– Michelle Garcia Winner’s Thinkables and Unthinkables
– Story Grammar Marker
– Game Changer
– Soar by Alyce Tzue
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Podcast FOMO? Not anymore! Subscribe to the podcast in iTunes to get the latest episodes sent directly to your inbox! Who knew getting your CECs could be so easy?!
✨ Bonus points if you leave us a review over while you’re there! iTunes reviews help other SLPs find the podcast, and honestly, I love reading your feedback! Click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” → let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is. ✨
Thanks so much!!