In this episode, we’re continuing our series about starting the school year successfully and talking about how SLPs can successfully navigate communicating with teachers, because they can be some of our best allies when it comes to our students.
This isn’t always an easy topic to handle, and I’ve heard stories from both sides of the spectrum — sometimes the relationship with a teacher is amazing, and sometimes it feels downright dismissive. But, I think it’s so important that we have these conversations and learn how to improve because our students will reap the benefits when their teachers and SLPs are on the same team. 💪
So grab your beverage of choice, put your feet up (or get your walking shoes on!), and listen in.
– How SLPs can show up in the school
– Get clear on attendance requirements for staff meetings
– Time integrity with students’ sessions
– Communicating schedule changes so there are no surprises
– Being visually present at the school
– Providing education
– Let the staff know what your role is and how you’re there to help
– How to share information in a way that actually sticks
– Reviewing the goal + target setting process
– Creating an IEP at a Glance
– Conducting IEP check-ins with special educators
– Using a red folder to ensure teacher compliance
– Making probe data fun
– Supporting goals that the teachers are working on
– Keeping the relationship going strong all year long
Links Mentioned in the Podcast
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, please subscribe today to get the latest episodes sent directly to you! Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Bonus points if you leave us a review over on iTunes! Those reviews help other SLPs find the podcast, and I love reading your feedback! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review,” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Thanks so much!