Getting the paperwork sorted might have been the most stressful part of starting my clinical fellowship, but I made it a lot more complicated than it had to be!

Biggest Takeaway: Don’t be afraid to ask for help! You’re not the only one going through this process, and you have tons of resources (i.e., your graduate program, your supervisor, your fellow graduates).

Here’s a quick overview of the paperwork that will be required to start (and complete!) your CF:

State Paperwork

There are one (or possible two) things that you’ll need for your state:

1. You’ll want to submit the required paperwork to your state for your temporary license if that is a requirement. Your supervisor can help you with your licensing paperwork.

2. You’ll also want to get your teaching credential. Your university should be helping you with this.

Every state is different, so check with your graduate program and look up your state requirements.

If you are starting a job in a different state than your graduate program, allow extra time for the process. Licensing paperwork usually takes around four to six weeks to process in my state.

ASHA’s Paperwork

Good news! Your ASHA paperwork doesn’t need to be turned in until the end of your CF, but you should know what ASHA’s requirements are. (It’s your job to do this! Don’t rely on your supervisor.)

Once you are ready to submit your paperwork, it’s a pretty simple online process! You can click here to fill out the form online.

You’ll also need these additional documents:

– Passing Praxis exam scores (sent directly to ASHA from ETS)
– Official graduate transcript which verifies the date and degree awarded (may arrive directly from institution)
– Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship (SLPCF) Report and Rating Form report through your online application portal
– Disclosure documents (if applicable)

Bonus Tips

If you were a member of NSSLHA for two years during graduate school, you are eligible for a “gift to the grad” discount that includes 20 months of membership for the price of 12.

ASHA states that it is the responsibility of the CF to verify that your supervisor is certificated. You can do a quick check online and should do so periodically throughout your CF. If your supervisor is not certificated, you will have to redo the portion for when their certification lapsed.


Hi there! I'm Marisha. I am a school-based SLP who is all about working smarter, not harder. I created the SLP Now Membership and love sharing tips and tricks to help you save time so you can focus on what matters most--your students AND yourself.

Reader Interactions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *