I am so excited that Mikayla and Corey are back again for another episode of the SLP Now podcast!
Their names and voices are probably super familiar because they were also on last week’s episode, A Crash Course in Literacy for SLPs! Pop back and give it a listen if you haven’t already, because it will give you a really solid introduction to all things literacy and help lay the foundation for today’s conversation about phonological awareness.
We’re going to get really specific and tactical with you this week, and break down exactly what we can do to help our students with literacy deficits. 💪
So, grab your beverage of choice (I’ll have a chai latte!), put your feet up, and listen in.
Key Takeaways + Topics Covered
– Reviewing the literacy triangle
– What’s an SLP’s role in phonological awareness?
– Why is it important to spend time focusing on phonological awareness?
– The hierarchy of PA skills
– Key skill areas to focus on
– Sharing strategies with teachers and parents
– How long you typically need to work on these skills to see progress
– Helping students understand why phonological awareness is important
– Connecting phonology → letters → words → sentences, using manipulatives
– Moving between skills with the structured approach
– Staying in sync with the special education teacher
– Ways that SLPs can pull additional PA skills into our sessions
– The structure required for targeting PA vs. the whole literacy triangle
Links + Resources Mentioned in the Podcast
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, subscribe today to get the latest episodes sent directly to you → Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Bonus points if you leave us a review, because those reviews help other SLPs find the podcast, and I love reading your feedback! Just click here to review → select “Ratings and Reviews” → “Write a Review,” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Thanks so much!