In this week’s episode of the SLP Now podcast, I sat down with Corey and Mikayla from Ascend SMARTER Intervention to talk about literacy. This dynamic duo works together at a Denver-based educational consulting practice dedicated to getting SLPs the support they need to feel confident in structured literacy-intervention.
Corey, the founder of Ascend, is a data-driven + analytical educational therapist and diagnostician who is deeply passionate about helping struggling readers close the gap between where they are and where they want to be.
Mikayla joined the Ascend Team in 2017. She is a passionate and eager educational therapist with a background in psychology and special education, who cares deeply about helping kids see that they are capable of learning and helping them change their lives.
I’m so thrilled they joined me to share what they’ve learned in their years of practice, and hope you enjoy the conversation as much as I did!
So grab your beverage of choice (I’ll have a chai tea!) put your feet up, and listen in.
– How Corey and Mikayla came to learn so much about literacy
– The role an SLP plays in literacy
– What sets us apart from special educators and teachers
– The literacy processing triangle and why it matters (Phonology, Orthography, Semantics)
– How to identify a student’s core deficit
– Curriculum-based measures and standardized measures
– How our role changes depending on the core deficit, especially in a school setting
– Why it’s critical to have assessment in oral language and reading comprehension
– Why we need need a structured, systematic approach to literacy
– Examples of how SLPs can implement this in practice
Links Mentioned in the Podcast
– Clinical Evaluation of Language Fundamentals (CELF)
– Wechsler Individualized Achievement Test (WIAT)
– The Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing (CTOPP)
– The Phonological Awareness Test (PAT)
– Smarter Intervention Training Program
– Click here to access the freebie links!
Subscribe & Review in iTunes
Are you subscribed to the podcast? If you’re not, please subscribe today to get the latest episodes sent directly to you! Click here to subscribe in iTunes!
Bonus points if you leave us a review over on iTunes! Those reviews help other SLPs find the podcast, and I love reading your feedback! Just click here to review, select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review,” and let me know what your favorite part of the podcast is.
Thanks so much!